I fell in love with this dish and the restaurant that makes it (so positive! And everything vegan and gluten-free). I knew right away that I would have to recreate it.
Please forgive the confusing nature of this recipe. I have put the entire dish and overview at the beginning with the recipes required to make it after. I hope this is easy enough to follow.
1 recipe orange ginger tofu (below)
1 recipe lime cashew cream sauce (below)
1 bunch kale
Squeeze of lemon
Sprinkle of coarse salt
Splash of olive oil (I never measure. These are for the kale)
2 carrots, julienned
1+ beets, julienned
Sprinkle of sesame seeds
1/2 c uncooked quinoa cooked per directions
- prepare the tofu the night or morning before
- cook the quinoa (when you’re ready to eat (I like this and the tofu hot with the cold salad. You can eat it all cold.)
- cook the tofu
- prepare the cashew cream
- massage the kale
- assemble the dish
Massage the kale: With your hands rub the kale with the oil, lemon, and salt. This will break down the cellular walls and make it liked cooked and also take away the bitterness. I like my raw kale so I don’t take it to that wilty like-cooked state. You will see the kale change, good.
Assembling: Serve 1/4 each tofu, quinoa, kale, cashew cream. Top with carrots and beets. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Orange ginger tofu
1 pkg firm tofu, pressed
Juice and zest of 2 oranges
1 inch piece of ginger grated (1/8-1/2 tsp jarred, to taste)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp sesame oil (I usually skip)
Hot sauce to taste
Edit ***pretty sure I put tamari in here too. Maybe 1 tsp***
- Drain and press the tofu (drier means more marinade will soak up. Don’t rush this
- Make the marinade. Combine remaining ingredients.
- Let marinade at least morning till dinner.
- Dry fry in a non-stick pan until golden and carmelized on all sides.
While the tofu is cooking make the cashew sauce.
Cashew cream sauce (lime-ginger)
1/2 c cashews soaked (I only soak from the time I start cooking quinoa and tofu. They are soft. They don’t need all day)
1 tsp or more lime juice (use this if bottled, more if fresh)
1 tsp tamari (or soy sauce if gluten is not a problem)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 tsp fresh ginger, grated
Water as needed to reach desired consistency
Blend all together in a blender.
- I forgot the sesame seeds as you can see in the picture
- This time the beet I used is so large I didn’t even use it all. I normally use one. If you love beets, use more. If you don’t love them, still use one small. I don’t like beets but I love them in this dish!
- the cashew cream makes this. I forgot it once. It was not the same. Do not forget this.