I loved my mom’s bran muffins. Now I can have them gluten-free. They are also oil-free and low sugar!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180 g) uncooked gluten-free oat bran
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar (loosely packed for a less sweet muffin though they are not too sweet)
- 2-3 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 and 1/4 cups (312 mL) water (up to 1 1/3 if needed)
- 1/2 cup (125g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 160 g oat flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with liners. (I use silicone but you can use paper)
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingrediets (whisk out the lumps)
- Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in the raisins (also try dried cranberries, blueberries (fresh or dry), and chopped apples).
- Allow to sit at least 5 minutes so the flax and flour can soak up the water.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and the center is firm to the touch. Cool 5 minutes in pan then remove muffins to rack and cool completely. Ensure completely cool before storing.
Storage: Store the cooled muffins in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
150 calories per muffin